mainalt mainalt mainalt mainalt mainalt mainalt mainalt mainalt mainalt
mainalt mainalt mainalt mainalt

To view .pdf files - click icon to download Acrobat Reader.

Regulations - USA
Regulations governing HPR Motors in the USA

Explosives Regulations:

Pro-X reload kits contain ammonium perchlorate composite propellant (APCP).
The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATFE) has published a new list of explosive materials in today's Federal Register (January 2010), a list that no longer includes ammonium perchlorate composite propellant (APCP)

In January 2010, for the first time since the list was originally created in the 70's, the list of explosives was missing APCP, a direct result of the decision issued by U.S. District Court Judge Reggie B. Walton on March 16th of 2009, a ruling that vacated ATFE's regulatory oversight of the solid rocket motor propellant. Commerce in Explosives; List of Explosive Materials (pdf link)

Cesaroni Technology Inc. recommends those users of HPR Pro-X reload kits of H impulse class and higher obtain a Low Explosives User’s Permit (LEUP) from their local BATFE office. This ensures that there is no question as to the user’s legal right to possess and use the reloads in question at present or in the future.

Transport within the USA:

The transport of Pro-X reload kits in the USA is governed by the US Department of Transport (DOT). Pro-X reload kits are classified as explosives for transport, and thus shipments to dealers are subject to the provisions of the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR 171-180).

The good news for consumers is that there is a personal use exemption in US law that exempts end users from the requirements of the Hazardous Materials Regulations for reloads that are for personal, non-commercial use and transported by such persons in their personal vehicles.

Import into the USA:

In order to import HPR motors into the USA you must have a permit issued by the BATFE.
(22 CFR 555.108)

California Regulations:

The California State Fire Marshall (CSFM) must classify pro-X reload kits that are to be used in the State of California. All Pro-X products that are classified by the CSFM bear a logo of the California State Fire Marshall.

Airspace & FAA

Your local TRIPOLI or NAR prefecture can guide you through the local requirements for airspace to launch your rockets.

Regulations - Canada
High Power Rocketry Regulations in Canada

In any regulatory discussion regarding model or high power rocket motors, the term explosive is commonly used. It is important to understand that “explosive” encompasses more than the high explosives such as those used for blasting or in munitions – those are detonating materials. Explosion and detonation are two entirely different things, but unfortunately the terms are often confused. An explosive material or composition is merely something that can release chemical potential energy in the form of gases that can cause explosions to occur. Rocket propellants are an example of such a composition, as are other propellants such as gunpowder. Propellants undergo a chemical reaction called deflagration, resulting in the rapid release of hot gases. Therefore in certain circumstances they are capable of causing an explosion to occur. If a propellant is sealed inside a casing capable of holding high pressure and then ignited, the propellant will generate hot gas causing the internal pressure of the casing to rise. When the pressure reaches the failure point of the casing, it will rupture resulting in the sudden release of gases at high velocity, which can cause explosive damage to persons or property. High explosives do not require confinement to explode violently.

In Canada we have two primary agencies governing high power rocketry:

· Natural Resources Canada – Explosives Regulatory Division (ERD)

ERD administers and enforces the Explosives Act and Regulations, the body of Federal law that regulates manufacture, use, purchase, and storage of explosives. ERD tests new explosive materials to determine if they are suitable for possession and use in Canada, and assigns them appropriate classifications that determine how they may be shipped and stored, and who may possess and use these materials. ERD also issues permits for magazines and importation of explosives.

· Transport Canada

Transport Canada administers and enforces the Transport of Dangerous Goods Act and Regulations, the body of Federal Law that defines how hazardous materials, including explosives, must be packaged, marked, documented etc. for transport by road, rail, water or air within Canada. Transport Canada also controls the airspace in which aircraft and rockets operate. Without authorization from Transport Canada, the launching of high power rockets is not permitted.

Who can purchase and use high power rocket motors in Canada?

ERD requires that purchasers of high power rocket motors for sport (recreational, hobby) use must be certified members of a recognized national rocketry association.

Associations overseeing high power rocketry that are recognized currently by ERD are the Canadian Association of Rocketry (CAR), the Tripoli Rocketry Association (TRA), and the National Association of Rocketry (NAR). Each of these associations have similar safety codes and rules of operation, and each has a certification program through which members are required to demonstrate their knowledge and competence in the sport, in order to progress to successive levels of certification.

High power rocket motors will not be sold to any individual who is not a certified member of one of these associations. Dealers of these products are required to keep records of each sale, and to check the credentials of anyone wishing to buy these products. In addition, the Explosives Regulations allow anyone to refuse sale of explosive materials to anyone, certified rocketry association member or not, who they believe may be attempting to purchase these products for any purpose other than that for which they are intended.

Please note that Cesaroni Technologies Incorporated does not make any direct sales of rocket motors or any rocket products to individuals; these sales are handled exclusively by our dealer network – please check the dealers section for contact information.

High power rocket motors may also be purchased and used by companies or government agencies for use in legitimate applications other than sport rocketry, providing they otherwise satisfy all provisions of Natural Resources Canada – Explosives Regulatory Division, and Transport Canada.

Do I need a magazine or a license from ERD to store my rocket motors?

If you wish to sell high power rocket motors or any explosives, you need a magazine and a license.

As a private individual storing motors you possess for your own use, you are generally not required to have a magazine unless you own over 125kg gross weight of product, which is unlikely. Storage requirements depend on how much you have.

High power rocket motors and/or motor reloading kits are classified as “high hazard fireworks” in Canada, Class 7, Division 2, Subdivision 5.

Up to 10 kg gross weight is simply required to be “stored safely”:

Paragraph 131 of the explosives Regulations states:

131. Subject to any provincial law or regulation or any municipal by-law, a
person may, if he takes reasonable precautions against accidents, keep in his
possession on his premises, for private use and not for sale,

(a) a quantity of Division 2 of Class 7 fireworks, not exceeding 10 kilograms
gross weight, that were sold to him in accordance with these Regulations.

Over 10kg but up to 25kg gross weight requires a container for storage. Paragraph 125 (1) (b) (i) states:

125. (1) Subject to subsection (2), the quantity of explosives of Division 2 of
Class 7 (manufactured fireworks) and of Division 1 of Class 6 (ammunition) that
a person may have in his possession if kept in any store or warehouse shall not

(b) in a container

(i) 25 kilograms gross weight of Subdivisions 2 and 5 of Division 2 of Class 7


129. In this Part, "container" means a box or other suitable receptacle

(a) that may be placed inside a building that is not itself adapted for the
keeping of explosives; and

(b) that is kept in a part of the premises away from goods of an inflammable
nature. SOR/79-1, s. 6.

130. In regard to any container, the following provisions shall be observed:

(a) it shall be provided with a closely-fitting lid and shall be kept securely
closed and locked except when the container is required to be open for the
receipt or issue of explosives, or for other necessary purpose;

(b) it shall not be used for any other purpose than the keeping of manufactured
fireworks of Division 2 of Class 7, or of explosive of Division 1 of Class 6

(c) the interior of the container shall be kept scrupulously clean; and

(d) the container shall have the word "AMMUNITION" or "FIREWORKS", as the case
may be, conspicuously displayed thereon on a contrasting background. SOR/79-1,
s. 7.

In other words, a plywood box, a toolbox, or other sturdy container with a close fitting lid that has provisions for secure locking should be suitable.

Over 25kg – please talk to your regional inspector from ERD. Most consumers have nowhere near this amount in their possession so details are not offered here.


Transport Canada

The Canadian Association of Rocketry (CAR)
The Tripoli Rocketry Association (TRA)
The National Association of rocketry (NAR)

mainalt mainalt
© Copyright 2022 Cesaroni Technology Incorporated. All rights reserved. Home | Products | Downloads | News | Dealers | Gallery
Legal Conditions | Privacy Policy